What is plagiarism? Why does it matter? Check out this video for a quick explanation of what it means to "plagiarize" information from a source.
The following policy statement and any revisions can be found in the most recent edition of the TU Academic Bulletin:
Academic institutions have the responsibility to promote and inculcate the highest standards of ethics among students. Therefore, Tiffin University places the highest value on academic honesty. Any act of academic dishonesty, including plagiarism, committed by a student may be penalized with an F for the assignment or for the course in question at the discretion of the instructor. If warranted, acts of academic dishonesty may also attract more severe sanctions, such as suspension or dismissal.
Repeated Acts of Academic Dishonesty
1. Upon a finding by a faculty member that a student has committed an act of academic dishonesty, the faculty member may assign a grade of XF. The faculty member will provide the Dean of the student’s school with documentation of the circumstances surrounding the occurrence.
2. A tracking mechanism and database is maintained by the Office of Registration and Records to identify students who receive a grade of XF. The School Dean will be notified when a student receives an XF. In the case of individual instances of academic dishonesty that are not severe enough to lead to a grade of XF, but are severe enough to lead to a student failing an individual assignment, faculty members will report these cases of academic dishonesty to the Dean of the student’s school. The process through which these instances are documented and handled, including any remediation, is at the discretion of the faculty of the respective schools.
3. First Occurrence - Upon the submission of a grade of XF the student will be placed on academic probation. The student will be required to undergo remediation and a warning letter from the School Dean will be sent to the student notifying the student that the receipt of a second XF will result in permanent dismissal.
4. Second Occurrence - All second occurrences will be reviewed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to confirm the dismissal.
5. Grades of XF will be expunged from the student’s record upon dismissal, transfer or graduation from Tiffin University.